Creativity in Motion.
Inspired by EOS technology, Canon developed the new EOS M Digital Camera. Canon introduced the market to Full HD video capture with smooth, quiet continuous autofocus made possible by Movie Servo AF and STM lenses, advanced CMOS sensor technology, and the processing power of DIGIC 5. The EOS M Digital Camera leverages these key technologies to deliver high-quality moving and still images with creativity provided by Canon's extensive family of interchangeable lenses.
- EOS Full HD Movie Mode with Movie Servo AF
For those looking to capture superb quality Full HD video, the EOS M Digital Camera offers a number of advantages. Offering a large APS-C sized sensor, the camera is able to deliver shallow depth-of-field for achieving impressive cine-style results and the ability to capture clean, high-quality video, even under very low-light conditions.
With the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M, the camera is also compatible with Canon's extensive family of EF lenses for boundless creativity.
Capable of shooting in a number of recording sizes and frame rates, the EOS M Digital Camera continues Canon's tradition of performance, quality and simplicity. The EOS M Digital Camera enables easy manual control of focus and exposure. It also automatically splits files greater than 4GB (FAT specifications) for extended recording without interruption.
Movie Servo AF allows continuous autofocus tracking of moving subjects while recording video. When shooting video with one of Canon's new STM lenses, Movie Servo AF takes advantage of the lens' stepping motor for smooth and quiet continuous AF.
- Built-in stereo microphone, manual audio level adjustment
The EOS M Digital Camera has an internal stereo microphone for high-quality audio capture and a wind filter feature to reduce wind noise when shooting outdoors. Sound recording levels can be manually (up to 64 different levels) or automatically controlled. A built-in attenuator is also provided to reduce audio clipping. For more advanced audio recording, the EOS M Digital Camera is compatible with many third-party electret condenser microphones with a 3.5mm diameter plug.
- Video Snapshot
With the Video Snapshot feature, the EOS M Digital Camera can capture short video clips (of 2, 4 or 8 seconds) then combine them automatically into one video file as a snapshot or highlights album. With no editing required after shooting, the compiled video is perfect for sharing online or displaying directly on an HDTV via the camera's HDMI port. Additionally, stills can be recorded during video shooting simply by pressing the camera's shutter button. During playback, video clips in an album can now be reordered or deleted.
- 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor
The EOS M Digital Camera features Canon's amazing 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) sensor. Perfect for enlargements or for cropping detailed portions of the composition, the EOS M Digital Camera's sensor captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range. This first-class sensor features many of the same new technologies used by professional Canon cameras to maximize each pixel's light-gathering efficiency and has center pixels that aid in the EOS M Digital Camera's accurate AF performance. This APS-C size sensor creates an effective 1.6x field of view (compared to 35mm format).
- Versatile ISO Range for shooting in a wide variety of lighting conditions
Thanks to its DIGIC 5 Image Processor, the EOS M Digital Camera features a versatile ISO range of ISO 1006400 (expandable to 12800 in H mode) for video recording and ISO 10012800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode) for still image shooting. The EOS M Digital Camera, with the DIGIC 5 Image Processor's remarkable noise-reduction technology, delivers outstanding performance in low light for incredible video and photos.
- DIGIC 5 Image Processor
The EOS M Digital Camera features Canon's DIGIC 5 Image Processor. The DIGIC 5 Image Processor works with the camera's CMOS sensor to deliver images with incredible detail in more situations, without the need for artificial light sources. With the power of the DIGIC 5 Image Processor the EOS M Digital Camera can achieve higher ISO sensitivity and even perform advanced functions like HDR Backlight Control, art filters, lens correction and much more. The brilliant brain of the camera, this engine supercharges every facet of image capture.
- Hybrid CMOS AF delivers fast autofocus speed for video and photos.
The EOS M Digital Camera uses a hybrid AF system to deliver incredibly speedy and accurate focus. Its CMOS sensor has center-mounted pixels that are used for phase-difference AF. Phase difference AF is incredibly fast for general distance determination, while contrast AF is incredibly accurate, no matter the location of the focus point. By capitalizing on the strengths of phase-difference and contrast AF systems, the EOS M Digital Camera achieves precise AF, fast.
- Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II with multi-touch operation and Touch AF
The EOS M Digital Camera comes with a newly engineered, Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II. Using the same capacitive technology as today's popular mobile devices, this new screen is touch-sensitive and delivers intuitive touch panel operation. Two finger touch gestures (multi-touch) can be used for zooming or changing images, menu and quick control settings can be accessed, and focus point and shutter release can be activated with the touch of a fingertip. The additional benefit of Touch AF makes it fast and easy to focus on any subject, by simply touching it on the screen. Displaying fine detail (at approximately 1.04 million pixels), this screen is perfect for composing and reviewing images. Thanks to a new, solid construction between the monitor's resin-coated cover and the liquid crystal display, reflections are minimized, and the display can be viewed, without glare, from any number of angles. The LCD's surface is treated with a smudge-resistant coating to minimize fingerprints and maintain a bright, clear image display.
- Compatible with the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses (optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M is required).
The EOS M Digital Camera features a new style lens mount, called EF-M. Besides the dedicated EF-M lenses, the camera is compatible with the entire family of Canon EF and EF-S lenses by attaching the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M. When the adapter is used, the image quality of the lens is preserved, with no light loss or change to image stabilization.
From fisheye to telephoto and everywhere in between, Canon offers the most comprehensive lens collection on the planet, with the finest optics and most advanced technologies for whatever application is at hand.
When shooting video with one of Canon's new STM lenses, the camera's Movie Servo AF feature takes advantage of the lens' stepping motor for smooth and quiet continuous AF.
- Scene Intelligent Auto mode
The EOS M Digital Camera features an enhanced Scene Intelligent Auto mode that incorporates a number of Canon technologies to deliver the best possible exposure. Joining Picture Style Auto, Automatic Lighting Optimizer, Automatic White Balance, Autofocus, and Automatic Exposure, Scene Intelligent Auto mode analyzes the image, accounting for faces, colors, brightness, moving objects, contrast, even whether the camera is handheld or on a tripod, and then chooses the exposure and enhancements that bring out the best in any scene or situation.
- Handheld Night Scene mode
Accessible right on the EOS M Digital Camera's Mode Dial, Handheld Night Scene mode captures nightscapes with bright highlights and detailed dark areas, delivering results previously impossible without the use of a tripod. By shooting and combining four consecutive shots at a shutter speed fast enough to avoid camera shake, the EOS M Digital Camera's Handheld Night Scene mode makes dramatic nighttime photography simple.
- HDR Backlight Control mode
The EOS M Digital Camera's HDR Backlight Control mode ensures that backlit subjects are not recorded too dark. By shooting three consecutive shots at different exposures (underexposed, correctly exposed and overexposed) and then combining the images, the final result maintains detail in both the shadow and highlight areas, ensuring the backlit subject is properly exposed.
- Seven Creative Filters, plus new Art Bold Effect and Water Painting Effect
Adding to the fun and creative possibilities available with the EOS M Digital Camera are seven different creative filters that can dramatically alter the mood and visual effect of any particular scene. Creative Filters include Grainy Black and White, Soft Focus, Fish-eye Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Miniature Effect and new filters: Art Bold Effect (makes the photos look like an oil painting, with subjects appearing three-dimensional), and Water Painting Effect (photos are altered to look like a water-colored painting). Since the filters can be applied to the image after shooting, it's easy to try several effects on the same shot. These creative effects can also be applied to video, for additional imaginative fun.
- Multi Shot Noise Reduction
To enhance its already admirable high ISO shooting capabilities, the EOS M Digital Camera features an intelligent Multi Shot Noise Reduction tool that reduces noise even further than the camera's sensor and the DIGIC 5 Image Processor alone. With Multi Shot Noise Reduction activated, the camera takes four consecutive shots, merges and aligns them. This eliminates more noise than the traditional Noise Reduction filter, with little or no apparent resolution loss. Moving subjects are even optimized to minimize subject blur! Thanks to this clever new feature, high ISO shooting has never looked better.
- Compatible with SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards, including new Ultra High Speed cards.
The EOS M Digital Camera uses popular SD, SDHC, SDXC and is even compatible with the newest Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) memory cards. Compact and available in large capacities, SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards are a perfect complement to the EOS M Digital Camera's design.
Canon EOS M Digital Camera w/22mm F/2 STM Lens Specifications
- Type: Digital single-lens non-reflex, AF/AE camera
- Recording Media:
SD card, SDHC card, SDXC memory card
* Compatible with Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) and Eye-Fi Cards.
- Image Format: 22.3 x 14.9 mm (APS-C size)
- Compatible Lenses:
Canon EF-M lenses, Canon EF lenses including EF-S lenses
(35mm-equivalent focal length is approx.1.6x the lens focal length)
- Lens Mount:
Canon EF-M mount (Canon EF-M lenses can be mounted directly to the camera. Canon EF lenses (including EF-S lenses) can be attached by using the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M.)
- Type: CMOS Sensor
- Effective pixels: Approx. 18.0 megapixels
- Pixel Unit: 4.3 μm square
- Total Pixels: Approx. 18.50 megapixels
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2 (Horizontal : Vertical)
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filters
- Low Pass Filter: Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor
- Dust Deletion Feature:
(1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
- Removes dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
- Self-cleaning executed automatically (taking approx. 2 sec.) when power is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible (taking approx. 5 sec.).
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
- The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
- The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
(3) Manual cleaning
- Recording Format:
Complies with Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 and Exif 2.30
- File Size:
(1) Large: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
(2) Medium: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3,456 x 2,304)
(3) Small 1: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2,592 x 1,728)
(4) Small 2: Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
(5) Small 3: Approx. 350,000 Pixels (720 x 480)
(6) RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
- Backup Recording: N/A
- File Numbering:
The following three types of file numbering method can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the camera's card.
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
- RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording:
RAW and JPEG Large images are recorded simultaneously
- Color Space:
sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Picture Style:
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
Auto (Approx. 3,000° - 7,000°K), Daylight (Approx. 5,200°K), Shade (Approx. 7,000°K), Cloudy, Twilight and Sunset (Approx. 6,000°K), Tungsten Light (Approx. 3,200°K), White Fluorescent Light (Approx. 4,000°K), Flash, Custom (Custom White Balance: Approx. 2,000° - 10,000°K)
- Auto White Balance: Auto white balance with the image sensor
- Color Temperature Compensation:
White balance correction:
Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
* Correction based on the current WB mode's color temperature.
- Color Temperature Information Transmission: Provided
- Type: No Viewfinder.
- Type: TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
- AF Points: 31 points (maximum)
- AF Working Range: EV 1 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
- Focusing Modes:
With Canon EF-M Lenses:
- One-Shot AF or Servo AF
(2) Manual focus (MF)
(3) AF + MF (manual focus after One-Shot AF)
- AF Point Selection:
(1) Manual selection
(2) Auto selection
* Automatically set in Basic Zone modes.
- Selected AF Point Display: Provided
- AF Assist Beam:
Effective range: Approx. 8.2 ft./ 2.5m. at center
* With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite attached, the Speedlite's AF-assist beam is emitted instead.
* Compatible with assist beam (intermittent firing) of 320EX flash.
- Metering Modes:
Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor
Evaluative metering, partial metering (center: approx. 11%), spot metering (center: approx. 2.8%), center-weighted average metering
* AE lock possible. The active metering time can be changed.
- Metering Range:
EV 1.0 - EV 20.0 (at 73°F/23°C, EF-M 22mm f/2 STM, ISO 100)
- Exposure Control Systems:
- Creative Zone:
(1) Program AE (shiftable)
(2) Shutter-priority AE
(3) Aperture-priority AE
(4) Manual exposure (including bulb)
- Basic zone:
(1) Creative Auto
(6) Night Portrait
(7) Handheld Night Scene mode
(8) HDR Backlight Control mode
- ISO Speed Range:
Manual Setting range of ISO 100-6400, expandable to ISO 12800
1. Manual setting range of ISO 100-12800, expansion to ISO 25600
2. Auto, ISO 100-6400 (in whole-stop increments)
- In Creative Zone modes, the maximum ISO speed (ISO 400, 800, 1600, 3200, or 6400) for ISO Auto can be set.
- With C.Fn-6-1 (Highlight tone priority), ISO 200 or higher will be set.
- Exposure Compensation:
Manual: ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
AEB : ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
* Manual exposure compensation and AEB can be set in combination.
* AEB is set in the following sequence: Standard exposure, decreased exposure, and increased exposure.
* If AEB is used with the self-timer, the three bracketed shots will be taken in succession after the 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay.
- AE Lock:
(1) Auto AE lock
* In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
(2) Manual AE lock
* In the P, Tv, Av, and M modes, enabled with the AE lock button. (Press again to update.)
* Enabled in all metering modes.
Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
- Shutter Speeds:
1/4000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/200 sec. (Scene Intelligent Auto)
1/4000 to 30 sec., bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec. (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
* Settable in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments.
- Shutter Release: Soft-touch electromagnetic release
- Self Timer: 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
- Shutter Lag Time:
(1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.05 sec.
(2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.2 sec.
* Time lag with the aperture stopped down by 3 stops or less. Excludes AF operation time.
Built in Flash
*For flash photography, Speedlite flashes are required for the EOS M Digital Camera.
- Flash Metering:
E-TTL II autoflash (evaluative flash metering and average flash metering), FE Lock
- Flash Exposure Compensation: ±2 stops in 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop increments
- FE Lock: Provided
- PC Terminal: Not Provided
- Drive Modes:
Single, Continuous, 10-sec. self-timer/Remote control, 2-sec. self-timer, Continuous shooting after 10-sec. self-timer (2 to 10 shots)
- Continuous Shooting Speed:
With One-Shot AF or MF: Approx. 4.3 fps*
*With Servo AF during continuous shooting, there are limitations depending on AF operation and the attached lenses.
- Maximum Burst:
Based on 8GB memory Card*1:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 15 Shots
RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
Based on UHS-I 8GB memory card*2:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 17 Shots
RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
RAW + JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
*1 Figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture style)
*2 Figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture style)
Live View Functions
- Shooting Modes: Photo shooting and video shooting
- Face Detection + Tracking AF
- FlexiZone - Multi (31 zones, AF at the touched Zone)
- FlexiZone - Single
- Metering Modes:
Evaluative metering, partial metering, spot metering, center-weighted average metering
- Metering Range:
EV 1 - EV 20 (At 73°F/23°C, EF-M 22mm f/2 STM, ISO 100)
- Grid Display: Provided (Two-type grid displays)
- Exposure Simulation: Provided
- Silent Shooting: Not provided
- File Format: MOV (Image data: H.264; audio: Linear PCM (Stereo))
- File Size:
1920 x 1080: 330 MB/min.
1280 x 720: 330 MB/min.
640 x 480: 82.5 MB/min.
- Frame Rates:
1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p
1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p
640 x 480 (SD): 30p (29.97) / 25p
- Continuous Shooting Time:
Based on 8GB Memory card:
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps: Approx. 22 min.
25 fps: Approx. 22 min.
24 fps: Approx. 22 min.
[1280 x 720]
60 fps: 22 min.
50 fps: 22 min.
[640 x 480]
30 fps: 1 hr. 32 min.
25 fps: 1 hr. 32 min.
Based on 16GB Memory card:
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps: Approx. 44 min.
25 fps: Approx. 44 min.
24 fps: Approx. 44 min.
[1280 x 720]
60 fps: 44 min.
50 fps: 44 min.
[640 x 480]
30 fps: 3 hr. 4 min.
25 fps: 3 hr. 4 min.
1. Face Detection + Tracking AF
2. FlexiZone - Multi
3. FlexiZone - Single
Auto ISO range: ISO 100-6400
Manual ISO range: ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12800 in H mode)
*If highlight tone priority is set, automatically set within ISO 200 or higher.
- Exposure Control:
(1) Movie autoexposure mode
* Shutter speed 1/30 - 1/4000 sec. (Signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed automatically set.
(2) Movie manual exposure mode
* Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed (auto/manual) manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is limited to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for 24/25/30 fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps.
- Exposure Compensation:
Provided (±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments)
* For video, exposure compensation will not be applied beyond ±3 stops even if the exposure compensation has been set beyond ±3 stops.
TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor with Touch Panel LCD (capacitive type)
- Monitor Size: 3.0 in. (Screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
- Pixels: Approx. 1,040,000 dots
- Coverage: Viewing Angle: 170° (vertically and horizontally)
- Brightness Control: Adjustable to one of 7 levels
- Coating: Anti-smudge coating
- Interface Languages:
25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
- Display Format:
(1) Single image display
- Single image, basic information, detailed information, histogram display
(2) Index display
4-image index and 9-image index.
(3) Jump display (Image jump w/ Main Dial)
1/10/100 images, shooting date, by folder, videos, stills, ratings
- Highlight Alert:
On the detailed information and histogram displays, highlight areas with no image data will blink.
Quick Control Function
When you press the Quick Control function button under the following conditions, you can set the functions below:
*The settable functions depend on the shooting mode
(1) During still photo shooting:
AF operation, AF method, image-recording quality, Creative filters, white balance, Picture Style, Auto Lighting Optimizer, and metering mode.
(2) During movie shooting:
AF method, image-recording quality (stills), movie-recording size, video snapshot, white balance, Picture Style, and Auto Lighting Optimizer.
Image Protection and Erase
Erase protection can be applied/canceled for a single image, all images in a folder, or all images in the card.
Erase single image, erase selected images, erase all images on folder, erase all images in a card, or erase only unprotected images.
- Compatible Printers: PictBridge-compatible printers
- Printable Images:
JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
RAW images printable.
Video cannot be printed.
DPOF: Digital Print Order Format
DPOF print ordering provided (Complies to DPOF Version 1.1)
* If both Standard and Index are set, only Standard will take effect for printing.
Direct Image Transfer
- Compatible Images: Not Provided
- Custom Functions:
Seven Custom Functions with 19 settings settable with the camera
- Custom Controls: Not Provided
- My Menu Registration:
Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered
- USB Terminal:
For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)
- Video Out Terminal:
(1) Video OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable
(2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal
- Extension System Terminal: Not Provided
One Battery Pack LP-E12
* With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E12, AC power is possible.
- Battery Check:
Automatic battery level check when power is turned ON.
Battery level indicated in one of four levels on LCD monitor.
- Power Saving:
Power turns off after the set time of non-operation elapses
* [Auto power off] settable to 30 sec., 1 min., 2 min., 4 min., 8 min., 15 min. or disable
- Date/Time Battery:
Built-in secondary battery. When fully-charged, the date/time can be maintained for about three months.
- Start-up Time:
Approx. 1.6 sec. with EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM* (Based on CIPA standards)
*The times are different according to the attached lens.
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D):
Approx. 4.28 x 2.62 x 1.27 in./ 108.6 x 66.5 x 32.3mm
Approx. 9.2 oz. / 262g (body only)
Approx. 10.5 oz. / 298g (According to CIPA Standards)
- Working Temperature Range: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Working Humidity Range: 85% or less
All data are based on Canon's Standard Test Method. Subject to change without notice.
- Canon EOS M Digital Camera Body
- EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens
- Neck Strap EM-100DB
- Battery Pack LP-E12
- Battery Charger LC-E12
- USB Interface Cable IFC-130U
- EOS Digital Solution Disk
- Camera Instruction Manual
- Software Instruction Manual CD